Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Truth from the Shadow

"You might want to cover your nose," Mya laughed.

My eyebrows wrinkle and mouth becomes pursed together. This is my puzzled face and Mya can read it.

"Kareem is fartin'," Mya clarified with even more laughter.

Now my eyes roll and I chuckle to myself. "Yep. Sounds like Kareem." My bewilderment is furthered by the fact that Mya has barely said 10 words to me this year, most of which happened on the day I shadowed Kareem a few weeks back. What is this newfound candor that the fifth-graders have with me? There's no other explanation for it other than the shadowing. I appreciate them seeing me differently than they did before, but I must admit I am a little perplexed. There's a part of me that wants to say, "Okay, we have to draw the line. I can't have you telling me EVERYTHING that pops into your mind about school, teaching, learning, and other pre-adolescent happenings." Then there's the other side that says, "You drew a line a long time ago and it doesn't go as far as you want in developing relationships with students."  Maybe this new way is the way. Take a walk in their shoes and draw fewer lines between students and me.

https://pixabay.com/static/uploads/photo/2015/10/08/04/58/shadows-977166_960_720.jpg

3 comments:

  1. Loved this reflection. I'm intrigued by the shadowing of students to learn of their experience. I'd love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith! The idea of shadowing a student came from this website: http://shadowastudent.org

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete